“We restore vintage American and European pianos to their original specifications. We use time tested, traditional woodworking techniques and at the same time, we utilize today’s most modern equipment to ensure the top quality of our work”
Marco Art of Restoration, offers the finest craftsmanship as in regards to restoration of modern and historical pianos. Marco De Lellis, and his highly trained staff has been successfully restoring vintage American and European pianos for the past 35 years. Marco comes from the Old World approach to musical instrument restoration, using traditional, proven methods he has learned in Italy at his grandfather’s workshop.
Our workshop can handle practically any piano repair. In keeping with tradition of Old World craftsmanship, the restoration techniques offered under his roof are similar to those used by the greatest musical instrument makers and restorers of centuries past.
At present Marco de Lellis is former President del "Piano Technician Guild” NYC chapter.
Do you need your piano repaired?
List of Services:
- Replacement of soundboard with matching ribs: top quality red spruce (from Ciresa – Italy), white spruce (from Bolduc), or Alaskan sitka spruce. Crowned ribs with proportional radius in Traditional “go-bar” soundboard press. Soundboard located in climate controlled seasoning room before assembling (until 4% - 6% Moisture content).
- Repairing soundboard (router system for more stability), ribs and bridges (new cap – seasoned hard-rock quarter saw maple).
- Replacement of pin block: Dilignit or Canadian laminated maple. Duplication of in-rim pin blocks (vintage pianos).
- Plate repairing (no welding) and rebronzing. Customized gold or silver.
- Restringing with appropriate music wire: Roslau, Mapes Gold, Pure Sound.
- Tuning pins remade for historical instruments.
- Fine case refinishing (high gloss, semi gloss, satin, any mordant dye). Top quality materials. Polyurethane or polyester, amazing transparency. Our material contains no lead and no harmful chemical element. Our finishing meet the standard VOC limits required.
- Satin luster with exceptionally even texture. Also regular satin, black or clear.
- French polish: original process with shop-made shellac and alcohol 200 proof, (no “77” or other chemical lacquers). Traditional recipes. Unique. Our finishing recipes are based on shellac and alcohol and have been tested for generations.
Complete action work:
- Complete key restoration, including ivory, bone, pvc, and ebony keytops; front and balance repair and rebushing; key leading; back checks.
- Action part remade for historical instruments.
- Replacement of hammers, shanks, flanges, and wippen with appropriate parts (Renner, Steinway, Abel, etc.).
- Rebushing and repining of original parts.
- Hammer refelting for historical instruments.
- Back action replacement.
- Damper felt replacement and regulation.
- Regulation, tuning, and voicing
Some of our work...
STEINWAY & SONS
Steinway & Sons is considered the best piano in the world for the quality of the construction project, the materials and its unmistakable sound.
When dealing with the restoration of a Steinway & Sons piano, we take these three factors into account to ensure that the value and sound properties remain unchanged.
I had the honor of restoring some Conrad Graf fortepiano (1782 - 1851). they are undoubtedly the maximum of perfection for this type of instrument. They are like the Stradivari for the Violins.
The minutia, the attention to detail and the beauty of the sound, are undoubtedly out of the ordinary, considering the time of manufacture.