Marco's Art of Restoration is able to reestablish the original splendor of the piece through appropriate conservation techniques performed strictly by hand, replicating as much as possible the original materials and techniques used in its construction, and typically calling for the use of natural products such as organic glues, beeswax, shellac, and organic die, to preserve as much as possible the precious "patina" that gives value and originality to an antique object.
When appropriate, every step of the process is documented in detail to preserve and augment the historical significance of the piece.
Do you want to give your old furniture a new life?
What we do:
- Furniture repair
- Furniture refinishing
- Furniture construction
- Cabinet repair
- Cabinet refacing
- Cabinet restoration and structural repair
- Fire and water damage restoration and repair
- Color changes
- Touch-up nicks, scratches and gouges
- Hardware replacement
- Assembly and installation
- Millwork, paneling, door and banister repair
- Structural furniture repair and stabilization
- Watermark removal
And much more!
Some of the methods of restoration:
- French polish and lacquer finishing (resins, shellac, balsams, pigments)
- Gold and silver leaf gilding
- Spray-finishes such as polyurethane and polyester
- Wood restoration and wood working
- Remaking missing parts and wood consolidation where insect, fungi or atmospheric agents have caused damage
- Veneering, marquetry and intarsia
- Coloring (vegetable dying)
- Encaustic finishing with different waxes
- Carving/restoration of gold/silver gilded or varnished frames (wood or French pastiglia)
- Upholstery and Reupholstery
- Tooling ( leather top tables)
- Furniture painting (refinishing in any color)
Some of our work...
NASSAU COUNTY COURT ROOM RESTORATION
We worked at the restoration of the court room to bring back all the furniture to the original splendor. The restoration was conservative and esthetic, we have used the “French Polish” finish with shellac and alcohol to maintain the integrity of the original pieces.
FURNITURE – REFURBISHMENT OF A CHAIR
An old chair with a great sentimental value, its owner didn't think it could be recovered. We kept and refurbished the structure, changed the damaged parts and refined it with the materials chosen by the client. A typical project on a family's piece of furniture, that can continue to tell its story to the new generations.